With couples keen to capture memories of their special day in as many ways as possible, videography has become an essential part of many weddings. Local company Cinematic Tide are a husband and wife duo who are passionate about story telling and they use their combined skills to do just that! Today, I caught up with Sam who tells us why they are a popular choice with brides and grooms, as well as some fab advice for choosing a videographer.
Sam, tell us a bit about your background. How was Cinematic Tide formed?
Cinematic Tide was formed in 2011 by myself and my wife Danielle – we are a husband and wife team! I have a background in graphic design and photography and Danielle spent a year and a half working in a video production company in England. We were both intrigued by weddings and Danielle suggested we start filming some! We are now a small team of cinematographers and editors.
What style of videography do you adopt?
We tend to capture things as they happen, so natural with a little bit of fun, blooming love and with a zest of story telling. But we are progressing with every wedding we capture, finding new ways to tell stories. At the end of the day we want to create unique films that reflect your personality and passion by using our creativity.
In recent years videography has become an important element of capturing a wedding day. Why do you think that is?
I think people are beginning to see the value of good story telling, and beautiful cinematography. Looking at a picture is very different from watching a film/video. It’s a different kind of storytelling that captures a unique dimension of the day. Gone are the cheesy and boring three hour videos. I think Netflix has played a part in this – everyone just wants to look like they are starring in their very movie.
What makes a good videographer?
Good story telling, hard work, knowledge of how you use your gear, being a good editor and having a heart and a brilliant eye usually makes a good videographer.
What approach do you adopt when filming a wedding?
90% of the time we capture things as they happen. The other 10% we do give a bit of direction and let you be yourselves. We love good locations too, so we usually go hunting with the photographer for good spots to shoot in.
What do you love about your job?
We just enjoy it when it feels like we have known the couple for years, and we have so much fun with them and working together with the photographer(s). It’s like being part of a team, after all! There are weddings we go to where it feels like we don’t want to leave the party! Some of our team like the cake
What’s the most memorable wedding you have been involved in?
It’s very hard! We have had tipi tent weddings, outdoors, fields, mountain weddings! We also really like elopements and small and intimate weddings!
What advice would you offer couples when choosing a videographer?
Find someone whose work both you and your fiancé can connect with. We like to approach it as if we are going to a wedding as your friends. Friends feel comfortable and trust each other, the same I think goes with your videographer. Expectations are important too – don’t expect amazing sun if your date is in December in Ireland! Make sure you talk through your ideas with your videographer.
Ultimately, we tell stories, and we want to make sure that the stories we tell, will resonate with you for many lifetimes to come.
To check out more about Cinematic Tide, including their portfolio of work, click here.