Brides… step away from your comfort zones! This season designers are breaking the rules as bridalwear goes beyond simple sheath dresses to offer inspired collections for the 21st century bride. Hey, even short dresses aren’t anything to write home about any more. Here, guest blogger Aideen McCanny rounds up her top 5 bridal gown trends for spring!
There’s never been a cooler time to be a bride! The spring 2015 runways were alive with an array of some truly inspirational designs. We’re talking gasp generating, awe-inspired creations here. Brace yourselves… things are about to get a little cray cray!
1) Caped crusaderLove the idea of something trailing behind you as you walk up the aisle but hate the thought of a veil? Cue the cape. Hello Solange Knowles! Whether you want to cover up or create some drama, capes are a fabulous alternative to conventional cover ups. From floor length blinged out versions to more subtle sheer lace options, don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it.
2) Pretty pastelsA candy shop array of colours such as powder blue, parma violet, lemon sherbet and blush pink sashayed down many spring 2015 runways. Spring’s delicate colour palette has finally made its entrance into the wonderful world of wedding gowns and brides are welcoming it with open arms. If white just isn’t your colour, this is definitely the trend for you. Look to designers such as Vera Wang, Oscar de la Rental and Ian Stuart who expertly prove there are alternatives to white. Only one question remains… if the bride wears pink, what colour do her pretty maids wear?
3) Unlikely separates Reality TV star turned full time style icon Olivia Palermo upped the ante for her walk down the isle by donning what can only be described as a sweater-shorts-tulle skirt ensemble, designed by the fashionista’s favourite designer, Carolina Herrera. The celebrity’s choice has inspired a new trend as designers have taken on this game changing look and incorporated it into their spring collections. Perhaps a step too far from tradition for some brides, why not consider it for your second look of the day, or even for the day after the wedding?
4) Bringing sexy backThankfully designers haven’t totally forgotten about those with a penchant for tradition. As your walk down the aisle is such a huge part of your wedding day, it’s no surprise that you’ll want to look just as good from the back as the front. For spring, it’s all about a seductive back. Think low cut with delicate detailing, than say, a big oversized bow. Illusion panels and peekaboo lace will help keep things a little modest. How low will you go?
5) Crop top wedding dressesIt was only a matter of time before this iconic street style trend made its way into the bridal circuit. The key is to keep that flash of flesh slim and high. Go for a voluminous high waisted tulle skirt and coordinated embellished crop top to nail this trend. For the more faint hearted, gowns with strategic cut outs are your new BFF! Which of these trends are you rockin’ on your big day?